Sep 25, 2014

iPhone 5s and iPhone 6 Camera Comparison

Before I sell my iPhone 5s on eBay I thought I'd take a few comparison shots just to see how the new iSight camera compares to the one I've been shooting with for the past year.


In all of the side by side shots, the iPhone 5s is on the left and the iPhone 6 on the right.

Lowlight Indoors (click to enlarge)
There is a bit more variation in the tones in the iPhone 6.




Flower Outdoors (click to enlarge)
The background on the 5s is a lot darker than the 6 which seems to be picking up the mid-tones a bit better, but it does look a little washed out. I could use the exposure control to adjust that but I wanted to capture without any adjustments.



Gravel Outdoors (click to enlarge)
Because the iPhone 6 shot on the right doesn't show as much contrast the image looks a bit flat. In this case I prefer the 5s.




Depth of Field Outdoors  (click to enlarge)
The crispness on the image in the foreground is noticeable on the iPhone 6.



Shooting Red 
I read that the new iPhone does a better job with red hues than the 5s, but I didn't find much difference when comparing.





For the image above I tapped the center of the lowest flower as the focal point. Both results are similar when enlarged.



Finally I had some fun with the Slo-Mo Video on both the 5s and the 6. The 6 produces quite an amazing slo-mo effect!

 

Overall I would say there is a slight improvement from the iPhone 5s particularly in shots taken in lower lighting conditions, but nothing earth shattering. I do like the larger size of the iPhone but a bit disappointed in the new camera. Other sites have reported purple fringing in the corners but I haven't experienced that. 

Do you have the iPhone 6 or 6 Plus?  If so, how would you rate the camera?


13 comments:

  1. Geri, very interesting. I moved from a plain 5 to the 6, and in this case I notice quite a large difference in the camera quality. (I never shot with a 5s.) The low-light improvements seem most notable to my eye.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can hardly wait to get mine. I'm going from a 4s to a 6...big changes, I hope

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes that will be a big change. I love the size for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes I do remember going from 4 to 5s and there was a big change. I'll see how it performs under different circumstances. The whole phone seems faster though

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for this, Geri! I have so many plans for the upgraded slo mo cam. Cannot wait to mix it with my other video editing apps. Also excited to have the MUCH bigger screen to create on. (I don't use iPad all my creations are on iphone)

    ReplyDelete
  6. You're welcome Carl - Well, you must have "young eyes" because there's no way I could do my editing on a phone =0 The slo-mo is amazing and am looking forward to doing more with it

    ReplyDelete
  7. I want the 6 because of the camera and to use for art making the larger screen is a bonus. But, I tested it out in the Apple Store this week, and even the 6 was HUGE in my hand. It was very light, but still way big. There is no possible way I could manager the 6+.

    ReplyDelete
  8. No way I could manage the 6 Plus either and there are those bending issues! I do like the larger screen of the 6 and it seems lighter than my 5s which feels like a little brick now =). We hike each morning and it's a bit harder to hold the 6 because i have small hands, but I'm getting used to it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am moving ahead from the 4S to the 5S. The larger screen on the 6 is nice to shoot with- similar in size to my Galaxy 4S.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I hear the Galaxy 4s gets great photos

    ReplyDelete
  11. It really does, especially macro photos. I like using both the iPhone and Galaxy 4S depending on the scene. Here is a macro of wildflower buds with morning dew on them using the Galaxy 4S.

    ReplyDelete
  12. t really does, especially macro photos. I like using both the iPhone and Galaxy 4S depending on the scene. Here is a macro of wildflower buds with morning dew on them using the Galaxy 4S.

    ReplyDelete


 photo copyright.jpg
envye template.