David Hayes has once again agreed to share his secret for creating another beautiful mobile photo art piece. This one is titled Fish Story. Take it away, David!
Apps used: Laminar Pro, PS Touch, Repix, Snapseed
Stock photo credits: Jar – Holliewood Altered Reality; school of Goldfish – Holliewood Beast of Burden
It was my pleasure and honor to have Fish Story as the lead image in a recent Art of Mob showcase so when Geri asked if I’d share my workflow on this image, I was happy to do so. I’ve listed the apps I used above, but these are not mandatory by any means…use what works for you! Two of the elements in this piece are stock images that I purchased from Holliewood Studios but everything else I shot or created on my iPad.
Using PS Touch as my work app, I brought in a background that I had created sometime ago using Laminar Pro. (Like Geri, I create textures and backgrounds and store them in a folder for future use.)
For those of you who aren’t familiar with PS Touch’s workflow, I thought I’d show you how I add layers. I first clicked on the + icon in the bottom right to bring up the “Add Layer” menu. In this menu, I clicked “Photo Layer” to bring in my first element from my Camera Roll. I’ll use this flow to bring in future elements as well.
Next the school of goldfish from Holliewood’s “Beast of Burden” collection. With these two elements loaded, I can start the real work behind my image.
Keeping the Jar at full size for the moment, I resized and repositioned the goldfish to fit pleasingly in the jar. This done, I wanted to “flatten” these two layers to make resizing and repositioning of both elements easier in the future. So….I clicked on “A” and then on “B” to bring up the layer menu.
Making sure the goldfish layer was active, I clicked on “Merge Down” which merged this layer with the Jar layer. Clicking “Done” put it all into place!
Resizing/repositioning the jar of goldfish came next but even this was just an approximate because I wanted to bring in one more element.
Before doing that…a little PS Touch layering magic was in order. Going back to the Layering menu, I used the Blend Modes….picking “Subtract” to give the goldfish an eerie blue opacity. (I will have to admit this was one of those happy surprises. I didn’t know I wanted blue goldfish until I saw what “Subtract” did to them!!)
Now it was time to add my final element. This time it was another gold fish…a pic of a wooden fish lure I have sitting on my bookcase.
All the elements in place and blended…it was time to do some final repositioning and resizing so there was a bit of back and forth between the two element layers, doing so until I was happy.
Painting “Rain drips” on either side of the jar gives it a look of wetness/condensation…and a bit of light glitter.
You can see in this screen shot the “Cracks” I added…and while I could have added more, there was one more effect I wanted to put into place before I did that. Clicking on the double circle icon brought up the Preset menu.
It had to be “Stage” and its single spotlight! Using the usual two-finger pinch and spread moves, I adjusted the width of the spotlight to bring the focus on my elements and darken the remaining background.
One last bit of polishing…this time I clicked on the “Adjustment” icon and then used the brightness, contrast, and saturation controls.