Apr 4, 2014

Featured Mobile Photographer - Shane Martin

It's been quite some time since I first asked Shane Martin if I could feature his work. Our schedules never quite meshed but I'm happy to finally be able to present this featured interview with a most talented iPhone photographer.

Foothills © Shane Martin
Foothills © Shane Martin
Small Town © Shane Martin
Small Town © Shane Martin


Where do you live?

Shane:  I was born and raised in Calgary, Canada. I lived in Vancouver for a number of years and then in Europe before returning to the place of my birth.

How did you get started with mobile photography?

Shane:  Quite by accident. I had an iPhone for a couple of years and used it strictly as a phone and internet device. I was reading an article in The New York Times about the best 10 apps, kind of thing. One of the apps listed was a pinhole camera app. I had grown up with pinhole cameras so I thought I'd give it a try. After that I was hooked. iPhoneography quickly became a bit of an obsession. What attracted my to it was its ease and convenience. I had taken numerous Photoshop classes over the years and always found digital imaging very daunting. That all changed with the iPhone and its apps.


Vintage © Shane Martin
Vintage © Shane Martin
Sun Bathing © Shane Martin
Sun Bathing © Shane Martin

What device do you use?

Shane:  I'm currently using an iPhone 4 for taking photos and some processing and an iPad for most processing. 

Do you have a traditional photography or art background?

Shane:  I have alway been a hobby photographer. For many years I had a darkroom in various basements, doing mostly B&W prints (some Cibachrome as well). I have never had any "formal" training. Weekend courses here and there and lots of reading and watching. I've always has a "creative" side.

Chinatown © Shane Martin
Chinatown © Shane Martin

Who or what inspires your work?

Shane:  Loaded question - everything. I'm inspired by the awesome work of the many, many talented iPhone artists I have discovered as part of this journey. I don't want to list any because the list would be too long and I would be bound to forget someone important. More traditional photographers who have inspired me include: Saul Leiter; Alfred Stieglitz; Edward Weston; William Allard; Henri Cartier-Bresson; André Kertész; Fred Herzog, etc. I also find inspiration in music, I'm a huge music lover.  Favorites would include: Nick Cave; Tom Waits; John Coltrane; Miles Davis; Radiohead; Howe Gelb; Grimes, Charles Lloyd, etc.

Renata © Shane Martin
Renata © Shane Martin
The Morning Paper © Shane Martin
The Morning Paper © Shane Martin

You seem to be similar to me in that you like to experiment with all styles from landscapes to street and portrait photography. Is there a style you prefer?

Shane:  My style, or lack thereof - I would have to say recently that I have gravitated towards landscapes. I am lucky to live in a part of the world with amazing scenery, Rocky Mountains to the West, prairiescapes to the east, all within an hour's drive of my house. I am very drawn to the wide open spaces of the prairies as well as their sense of desolation and emptiness. That said, I love to shoot when I travel, which I do a lot. My beautiful wife is a source of inspiration. The photography I admire the most seems to be "street photography". It also seems to be the most difficult, for me at least, but I do like to try it out now and then. I do like to try new things all the time and, as mentioned, I'm inspired by my fellow iPhone artists. I often see an amazing image and think I've got to try that out. This probably results in my lack of a personal style. I don't lose too much sleep over it though!

Blue  © Shane Martin
Blue  © Shane Martin

When shooting, do you use your native camera or do you prefer a specialty camera app like 645 Pro or ProCamera?

Shane:  I tend to use ProCamera because its most like a traditional SLR in terms of the control it gives. I tend to avoid cameras like Hipstamatic because I like to do my processing from a "straight" image.

What are your favorite apps for editing your images?

Shane:  The list is long and seems to change all the time. Some constants include: Snapseed, Filterstorm, BlurFx, Dynamic Light, PhotoCopier, PhotoToaster, Pixlr-o-matic, ShockMyPic, Artist's Touch, Image Blender.

The Day Dreamer © Shane Martin
The Day Dreamer © Shane Martin
Watching you, watching her, watching me © Shane Martin
Watching you, watching her, watching me © Shane Martin

Do you do all of your editing on your iPhone, or do you prefer a tablet?

Shane:  Both, but as age continues to ravage my eyesight, more and more on the iPad.

Please share a bit about your editing process.

Shane:  The image itself will usually dictate my editing process but generally I will almost always first run my images through Dynamic Light to try and add a bit of pop. Next into Snapseed for light adjustments, sharpness, cropping, straightening etc. Any cloning or erasing I need to do I generally do in Filterstorm. After dealing with the "basics" I will start applying filters. For landscapes I almost always run the image through a very light treatment in Shock and then blend the resulting image back with the original. I almost always finish up in Photocopier. I love the variety of tones available and the fact that it provides you with a fair amount of controls.

Into the Light © Shane Martin
Into the Light © Shane Martin
Defiant © Shane Martin
Defiant © Shane Martin
Retired © Shane Martin
Retired © Shane Martin
Have you ever exhibited your work? If not, any plans to do so?

Shane:  My work has been exhibited as part of the various shows P1xels has put on over the years, as well as the iPhoneArt show in LA a couple years ago. At one point I had works showing in LA and NY at the same time - that was quite exciting! My work has been featured quite frequently on the various mobile photography sites for which I am very grateful.

Hay! © Shane Martin
Hay! © Shane Martin
Winter Walk © Shane Martin
Winter Walk © Shane Martin
Is there anything else you'd like to add?

Shane:  Thanks to you Geri, and the many others out there who continue to work to promote mobile photography.


Light in a Bottle © Shane Martin
Light in a Bottle © Shane Martin

Find Shane: Flickr, EyeEm, Instagram




Add to Flipboard Magazine.

9 comments:

  1. I just love how varied his style is, but consistently evocative of many moods and feelings. Thanks for featuring him, Geri!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, each piece is wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for this terrific perspective and inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been following Shane from the start of my interest in mobile photography and so happy the interview finally came together!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can see why! Shane's work, and his words reveal a generosity of spirit, and a curious mind.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It always amazes me how humble truly talented people are! You come to mind in that category as well - Love your work Carolyn!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear Geri,
    Thank you for your generosity! Here is a story for you. I was in art school, at RISD. I was certain that they had made a mistake in accepting me, so I was working my tail off – as usual.
    An upperclassman came to the door of my studio a number of times. He would stand there watching me. This was a well-respected man, a great painter. I couldn't figure out why he was looking at me... maybe out of pity, I thought. Finally I looked up, and he spoke.
    He said, "You're going to go far."I was still pretty sure that he was making fun of me.
    He continued, "You are ADEQUATELY insecure. Your secure enough to keep on working, and insecure enough that you will always question yourself, and you will never rest on your laurels."
    That was in 1973, or 1974. A while ago. He still painting. I'm still painting. I'm still adequately insecure, confident enough to keep trying.
    You know I love your work, and your attitude. I love that we will be seeking and learning, as long as we are on this planet. XXOO

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is a great story - I love that term ADEQUATELY insecure! Thanks much for sharing my dear!

    ReplyDelete


 photo copyright.jpg
envye template.